Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fast Food Nightmares

So it's probably a good thing for my temper that I'm off fast food for lent, however I still have to deal with crazy people at other prime locations who don't understand what I'm saying...years ago it was the lovely folks at McDonald's who had no idea all I wanted was a number 6, and later the subway employees who wait until I say "tomayto" before they understand what I'm asking for. I've tried pointing but that seems to add more confusion into the mix, I'm tired of the woman in Tijuana Flats who EVERYTIME I go in there she asks: "do you mind if I ask you where your accent is from" and then when I tell her, as if prompted by the devil himself I get "oh I thought it was Australian."

So anyways, good times...I'm at Panera the other day and I think they must have changed their menus 'cause the used to have a sign with all their specialty coffees on. When I ask the woman behind the counter where they now, she simply points behind me where the self-help coffee pot is...I try another method; "what selection of special coffees do you have, such as cappuccino or mochas?" I get a blank response until the guy behind her cleaning up "translates" for me and suddenly I get what I want. The I ask for a "chocolate pastry." I say it slow and clearly and all I get is a blank response again...I mean why do these people think they can be successful if they have troubles understanding people...I mean I'd accept it if I walked in there saying "Awright geeza, gizza Joe Roffie mate!" then I'd accept a look like i'm talking another language...if my German colleagues have more luck than I do ordering you know it's all just a cunning ploy to drive me insane...

Best response by far:

Woman in Golden Coral "England (paused for thought) is that a sport?"

3 comments:

  1. Lol omg you have to blog more of these. This is awesome! I love an accent as much as any girl and when people can't understand an English accent it baffles my mind. Yours isn't even a cockney accent. (is that right? cockney?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...it's good stuff, isn't it. He's gotten much better at "speaking the language". When he first came over, he REFUSED to try and say it in an American accent. He didn't think he should have to say it with a different accent for people to understand him. After a couple years of requiring a translator, he has finally given in and tried harder to "speak the language". And that includes his usual sayings, like:

    English term - American Term
    Trousers - Pants
    Pants - Underwear
    Trainers - Tennis shoes

    I'll let Tony tell you more, but you get the hang of it. Even with all that, people STILL have trouble understanding him. It's quite humorous at times. And we're getting it all over again now that his parents have moved over to the states. They still insist that their garage is a 'gehr-ridge' (rhymes with carriage).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the woman at Golden Corral. And I will also never forget the stunned look we all gave her. How could you possibly go through life and not ever hear of England?

    ReplyDelete